Thanks And Acknowledgements

My thanks go to Kent Libraries and Archives - Folkestone Library and also to the archive of the Folkestone Herald. For articles from the Folkestone Observer, my thanks go to the Kent Messenger Group. Southeastern Gazette articles are from UKPress Online, and Kentish Gazette articles are from the British Newspaper Archive. See links below.

Paul Skelton`s great site for research on pubs in Kent is also linked

Other sites which may be of interest are the Folkestone and District Local History Society, the Kent History Forum, Christine Warren`s fascinating site, Folkestone Then And Now, and Step Short, where I originally found the photo of the bomb-damaged former Langton`s Brewery, links also below.


Welcome

Welcome to Even More Tales From The Tap Room.

Core dates and information on licensees tenure are taken from Martin Easdown and Eamonn Rooney`s two fine books on the pubs of Folkestone, Tales From The Tap Room and More Tales From The Tap Room - unfortunately now out of print. Dates for the tenure of licensees are taken from the very limited editions called Bastions Of The Bar and More Bastions Of The Bar, which were given free to very early purchasers of the books.

Easiest navigation of the site is by clicking on the PAGE of the pub you are looking for and following the links to the different sub-pages. Using the LABELS is, I`m afraid, not at all user-friendly.

Contrast Note

Whilst the above-mentioned books and supplements represent an enormous amount of research over many years, it is almost inevitable that further research will throw up some differences to the published works. Where these have been found, I have noted them. This is not intended to detract in any way from previous research, but merely to indicate that (possible) new information is available.

Contribute

If you have any anecdotes or photographs of the pubs featured in this Blog and would like to share them, please mail me at: jancpedersen@googlemail.com.

If you`ve enjoyed your visit here, why not buy me a pint, using the button at the end of the "Labels" section?


Search This Blog

Wednesday 8 November 2023

Hope, Great Fenchurch Street 1810 - 1906

The former Hope Inn (2nd right), 1920s. Credit Alan Taylor
 

Licensees


Mary Smith c1822 1825
Sarah Ellis 1825 1865
James Dixie c1865 1868
Mr. Ayliffe 1868 1869
John French 1869 1871
George Barker c1871 1874
William Boorn 1874 1880
Edward Knight 1880 1886
Joseph Draynor 1886 1887
Frederick Hunt 1886 1887
William Wratten 1887 1887
Robert Donaldson 1887 1890
Elizabeth Donaldson 1890 1890
John Coghlan 1890 1890
Absalom Fryer 1890 1891
John Coughlan 1891 1900
Frederick Hart 1900 1901
William Heritage 1901 1902 To Marquis Of Lorne
Frederick Finn 1902 1902
Stephen Smith 1902 1904 Ex Blue Anchor
Alfred Burvill 1904 1905
Harry Boorman 1905 1906

Dover Chronicle, Dover Telegraph 4-7-1840

Inquest: An inquest was held on Tuesday at the Hope, Folkestone, on the body of Joseph Reynolds, labourer. From the evidence adduced, it appeared that the deceased was one of the labourers employed on the works of the South Eastern Railway, and that he was much injured by a fall of chalk on the Warren excavations, which caused his death in about three hours. Verdict: Accidental Death.

Dover Chronicle 1-4-1843

A meeting was held at the Hope, in Fancy Street, on Tuesday evening last, for the purpose of forming a Literary Society, but few persons, we are sorry to state, attended. As we much wish success to anything of this kind, we hope the few spirited gentlemen who have started it may persevere in their laudable endeavours in establishing this Society. 

Dover Express, Dover Telegraph, Folkestone Chronicle 21-7-1860 Southeastern Gazette 24-7-1860

Extract from an advertisement for an auction to be held at The Rose Inn on 31st July, 1860:-

Lot 4. A Freehold and Free Public House, situate in Little Fancy Street, in the tenure of Mrs. Sarah Ellis

Note: This refers to the Hope.
 
Folkestone Chronicle 9-11-1861

Town Council Meeting Extract:

Business: To make an order as to removal of urinal and nuisance in front of Hope Tavern, Fancy Street

The question of the removal of a urinal in Fancy Street was settled by the surveyor reporting that it had been removed.

But Mr. Boorn moved, seconded by Mr. John Banks, that the corner be bricked up, at the expense of the town. Carried by 11 votes.

Folkestone Observer 9-1-1869

Wednesday, January 4th: Before The Mayor and R.W. Boarer Esq.

John French applied for a transfer of the license granted to Arthur Ayliff to sell excisable liquors at the Hope Inn, Fancy Street.

Application granted.

Folkestone Express 9-1-1869

Transfer of License

The Hope, Fancy Street transferred from Mr. Ayliffe to John French

Kentish Gazette 12-1-1869 

On Wednesday the following licenses were transferred: The Dolphin Inn, from Mr. Packham to Mr. Ayliffe; the Hope Inn, from Mr. Arthur Ayliffe to Mr. John French. An application was granted for temporary power to sell to Mr. Robert Flux, of the Railway Bell, he not having had time to make the ordinary application for a transfer of the license from Mr. J. Willows.

Folkestone Express 10-1-1874

Monday, January 5th: Before W. Wightwick, J. Kelcey, R.W. Boarer, J. Clark, and J. Hoad Esqs.

William Boorn applied for temporary authority to sell excisable liquors at the Hope, Fancy Street, under the license granted to George Baker. Application granted.

Note: Date is at variance with information in More Bastions.

Southeastern Gazette 12-1-1874

Local News

At the Borough Bench on Monday, William Boorn applied for and obtained a temporary authority to sell excisable liquors at the Hope, Fancy Street, under the license originally granted to George Baker.

Folkestone Express 31-1-1874

Wednesday, January 28th: Before Col. De Crespigny, J. Tolputt and R.W. Boarer Esqs.

Transfer:

The following transfer of public houses was granted:

Hope Inn – to William Boorn

Folkestone Express 14-2-1874

Monday, February 9th: Before The Mayor, J. Kelcey, J. Hoad and R.W. Boarer Esqs.

Catherine Wood, alias Kate Murray (23), whose career appears to be one of delinquency, having been three years in a reformatory, and against whom was registered some half-score convictions, was brought up on remand from Saturday, charged with stealing sundry books of the value of 1s. 6d., from the shop of Mr. Edward Dale, bookseller, Dover Street.

Annie Dale, prosecutor`s daughter, deposed: I was in my father`s shop on Wednesday afternoon, when prisoner came in and asked for a ticket for the Servants` Home. I told her to go to Mr. Birch`s. She then left the shop and came back in a quarter of an hour and said she had been to Mr. Birch`s and found she was too old to go into a Servants` Home. I then told her to go to Mr. Pope`s and she went away. She had a bonnet or shawl on.

Prisoner to witness: I told you I could not find Mr. Birch`s.

Elizabeth Dale, prosecutor`s wife, deposed: Prisoner came to our shop on Wednesday evening between seven and eight o`clock, and said she wanted to get into the Servants` Home. I told her my husband had no means of getting her into such an institution and that it was of no use her calling again. She left the shop, and after she was gone I looked round and missed about a dozen “Churchman`s Almanack” and “Dover and Deal Guide”s. The books now produced correspond with those I missed.

Hannah Carter, wife of John Carter, Oddfellows Arms, Radnor Street, said: Prisoner has lodged at my house. She came on Wednesday and called for a glass of beer and porter and paid a penny for it. She had a yellow covered book in her hand and asked if I liked reading, and I replied that I could not read and she then gave the book to my little girl. Prisoner went out after she had drank her beer. I gave the book to P.C. Keeler.

Harriett Hall, wife of William Hall, fishmonger, said: I saw prisoner come out of the fishmarket about half past three on Wednesday afternoon. She went through the arch in front of the Royal George, and was tossing up a number of books. She said “I am going to put these up for a pint of beer”. I said “You may as well give me one for my little girl”, and she gave me one and then went away.

Charlotte, wife of William Bourne, Hope, Fancy Street said prisoner came into her house in company with a tall man on Wednesday, and he paid for a pint of beer. Prisoner had several books in her hand and offered to give witness them, and as she said she did not want them, she gave her a “Churchman`s Almanack”, and said if she kept the books she would only make away with them. Witness threw the book prisoner gave her on the tap room fire.

P.C. Keeler said: On Thursday morning, from information received, I went to the Oddfellows Arms and received the book I now produce from Mrs. Carter. I then went in search of prisoner and apprehended her in Tontine Street about noon. After being cautioned she said she was drunk and went into a shop, but she would not have done it if it had not been for a young man who was standing outside, and she gave him a portion of the books. She said she did not know his name, but they called him “Charlie”. Prisoner was searched by the female searcher, but nothing was found upon her. I have been to Dover and Hythe in search of the man, but could not find him.

Prisoner, after being duly cautioned, said: I came to Folkestone on Monday with a young man named Mackson, whose father keeps a farm. We went to the Dew Drop and got a bed there; we went into the tap room and had a pot of beer. I had just come out of prison and got a little beer, which upset me. If you will be so kind as to forgive me I will go into a Home: I could go in one today. I have lost my mother. I will go down on my hands and knees if you will forgive me. I don`t want to go to prison again.

The Mayor said the Bench had no alternative but to commit prisoner for trial, and she was accordingly committed to the Quarter Sessions.

Folkestone Express 2-5-1874

Quarter Sessions

Tuesday, April 28th: Before J.J. Lonsdale Esq.

Catherine Wood (22) was charged with stealing fourteen books, value of 1s. 4d., the property of Mr. Edward Dale, stationer, 1, Dover Street, on the 4th February. Mr. Minter for the prosecution.

Prisoner, on being called upon to plead, said she could not remember taking the books.

Mrs. Elizabeth Dale deposed: I am the wife of Edward Dale, carrying on business of stationer, 1, Dover Street. Prisoner came into the shop between seven and eight o`clock on the evening of Wednesday,  4th February  last. She said she wanted to get into a servants` home. I told her Mr. Dale had no means of getting her into one, and it was no use her calling again. I missed some books after she was gone. I had a bundle of the “Dover and Deal Guide” on the counter between two and three o`clock. After she had gone I missed them. One contained “The Dover and Deal Guide”, and the other the “Churchman`s Almanack”. The books now produced by P.C. Keeler correspond with those I lost.

By Prisoner: I did not see you take the books.

Annie Dale, ten years of age, deposed: On the 4th February I was in my father`s shop in the afternoon between three and four o`clock . Prisoner came in and said she wanted to get into a home, and inquired if my father could get her in. I told her to go to Mr. Birch, the Relieving Officer. She then left and came back in about quarter of an hour, and said Mr. Birch could not get her into a home. I then told her to go to Mr. Pope`s, Registry Office. She went away again. I was in the shop at half past seven, and heard mother tell her father had no means of getting her into a home.

By the Recorder: The books were on the counter, and prisoner stood near to them. I found her in the shop when I came downstairs. She was standing near the books.

Hannah Carter, Oddfellows Inn, Radnor Street, deposed: I have known prisoner some time. She came to my house on the 4th February between six and seven in the evening and asked for a glass of half-and-half. She had a book in her hand and asked if I would have the book. I said I could not read, and she gave me the book for my little girl. It had a yellow cover, and I believe it was a “Dover and Deal Guide”. I gave the book to P.C. Keeler on the following morning.

Harriett Hall deposed: I saw the prisoner on the 4th February between three and four o`clock. She came from the fish market, and had some books in her hand, which she was throwing up, and said “I am going to put them up for a pot of beer”. I said “You might as well give me one for my little boy”, and she did so. The book was put on the table by the side of my bed. P.C. Keeler came the next day and I gave the book to him, and at his request I put a mark upon it. The book now produced is the same

Charlotte Bourne deposed: I live at the Hope, Fancy Street. I remember prisoner coming to my house on the 4th February about five o`clock, with a man. She had several books in her hand, and offered to give them to me, and she gave me a “Churchman`s Almanack”, which I afterwards put in the fire.

P.C. Keeler deposed: On the 5th February I went to Mrs. Carter`s house and received a “Dover and Deal Guide”. I also went to Mrs. Hall`s and received a “Churchman`s Almanack”, and requested Mrs. Hall to make a mark upon it, which she did. I then went in search of prisoner and found her in Tontine Street, and took her into custody on the charge of stealing a number of books from Mr. Dale`s shop. She said she would not have “tooken” them if it had not been for a man who was standing outside. I asked her who he was, and she said “Charlie”, which was all the name she knew, and she had given a portion of the books to him. She said she had been in Mr. Dale`s shop.

This was the case for the prosecution.

The statement made by prisoner when before the Magistrates was read, to which she now added: I had done a long sentence in prison, and I took a glass of beer or two, which one and another gave me, and it upset me. I came to Folkestone with the intention of seeing a Sister of Mercy, and have not the slightest memory of taking the books. A Sister of Mercy was going to put me in a home. My mother was killed, and my father ran away, and I have not a friend in the world. I had not broken my fast after coming out of gaol till I got to Folkestone.

In answer to the Recorder, Mrs. Dale said she did not think prisoner was tipsy when she was in the shop, but she smelt strongly of what she thought was rum; she seemed to know what she was about.

Prisoner: If you will be merciful to me I will never take another drop of beer as long as I live. It has been the ruin of me.

The learned Recorder summed up the case as favourably as he could for the prisoner and remarked that if she did not know what she was about when she took the books there was no offence, but there was great inconsistency in her statements. A second count charged her with having been convicted at the Dover Quarter Sessions of felony on the 27th December.

Prisoner pleaded Guilty to the former conviction.

Mr. Minter remarked that His Honour ought to know that there were no less than thirteen previous convictions against prisoner.

The Recorder said that from a document before him he saw that prisoner began her evil course when she was only fourteen years of age by stealing a silver spoon; after that there were convictions for being in workhouses for an unlawful purpose, assaulting a child, absconding from a reformatory, four times drunk and disorderly, stealing boots,, and breaking fourteen panes of glass in Dover gaol. She was really a habitual criminal.

Mr. Minter remarked that the Visiting Justices offered to get her into a Home, but she refused to go, and the chaplain of the prison offered to get her into a workhouse in order to see if that would do her any good.

Prisoner: Since the death of my mother my father ran away, and I have seven little brothers in the workhouse, and I did not want to go to see them there. Mrs. Smith wanted to get me in a Home, but Mrs. Quilter, the Matron of the gaol, told her an untruth that I used bad language when I was coming out of chapel. Mr. Simmons put me in a dark cell three days on bread and water. If you will be merciful I will leave England.

The Recorder: I really don`t know what to do with such a habitual criminal. I have power to send you to penal servitude, but I will not go to that length. I cannot pass a less sentence than twelve months` hard labour.

Prisoner destroyed all faith of her professions of contrition and amendment by threatening Mr. Simmons as she was removed from the dock.

Folkestone News 1-5-1886

Wednesday, April 28th:

Transfer was granted as follows: Drayner, Hope

 
Folkestone Express 31-5-1890

Wednesday, May 28th: Before The Mayor, H.W. Poole Esq., Surgeon General Gilbourne, W.G. Herbert and W. Wightwick Esqs.

The licence of the Hope Inn was transferred to Mrs. Donaldson, widow of the landlord, who is supposed to have been lost at sea recently.

Folkestone Express 14-6-1890

Wednesday, July 11th: before J. Clark, J. Hoad, J. Dunk, F. Boykett and E.T. Ward Esqs.

The licence of the Hope Inn was transferred to Mrs. Donaldson

Folkestone Express 13-12-1890

Wednesday, December 10th: Before The Mayor, Col. De Crespigny, Surgeon General Gilbourne, Alderman Banks and W.G. Herbert Esq.

Transfer

Temporary authority was granted to John Coghlan for the Hope Inn.

Note: This transfer is at variance with More Bastions.

Folkestone Herald 14-12-1895

Felix

Then we chatted about the Folkestone of Mr. Francis` young days. A mere hamlet was it then. Fishing and smuggling were the principal industries. “Things”, said my vivacious informant, “have altered, both in trade and custom. I can remember the time when there was not so much stand-offishness amongst the tradespeople as now. There was no cliqueism then. Why, we used to meet together in the evening and smoke our pipes – the lawyers, the doctors, and the banker, and the rest of the tradesmen. One of our principal hotels was in Fenchurch Street. It is now called the Hope. But we divided our custom. But we divided our custom. Sunday was left out. For six nights in the week one of six hotels was regularly visited. An innocent rubber of whist was always indulged in, but on no account was the game commenced until Doctor Bateman (an ancestor of the present doctor bearing that honoured name) had lighted the tallow candles. These good old people lived by the rule. A pint of good English ale and a “night cap” was the regulation refreshment. At ten p.m. the “Hotels” closed, and a quarter before that hour the company punctually separated to meet again on the morrow evening”. Who can cast a stone at those old times, when men looked upon each other as men? As Mr. Francis said “One by one my companions have died off, I am alone, and the old days to me are but a memory”.



No comments:

Post a Comment