Thanks And Acknowledgements

My thanks go to Kent Libraries and Archives - Folkestone Library and also to the archive of the Folkestone Herald. For articles from the Folkestone Observer, my thanks go to the Kent Messenger Group. Southeastern Gazette articles are from UKPress Online, and Kentish Gazette articles are from the British Newspaper Archive. See links below.

Paul Skelton`s great site for research on pubs in Kent is also linked

Other sites which may be of interest are the Folkestone and District Local History Society, the Kent History Forum, Christine Warren`s fascinating site, Folkestone Then And Now, and Step Short, where I originally found the photo of the bomb-damaged former Langton`s Brewery, links also below.


Welcome

Welcome to Even More Tales From The Tap Room.

Core dates and information on licensees tenure are taken from Martin Easdown and Eamonn Rooney`s two fine books on the pubs of Folkestone, Tales From The Tap Room and More Tales From The Tap Room - unfortunately now out of print. Dates for the tenure of licensees are taken from the very limited editions called Bastions Of The Bar and More Bastions Of The Bar, which were given free to very early purchasers of the books.

Easiest navigation of the site is by clicking on the PAGE of the pub you are looking for and following the links to the different sub-pages. Using the LABELS is, I`m afraid, not at all user-friendly.

Contrast Note

Whilst the above-mentioned books and supplements represent an enormous amount of research over many years, it is almost inevitable that further research will throw up some differences to the published works. Where these have been found, I have noted them. This is not intended to detract in any way from previous research, but merely to indicate that (possible) new information is available.

Contribute

If you have any anecdotes or photographs of the pubs featured in this Blog and would like to share them, please mail me at: jancpedersen@googlemail.com.

If you`ve enjoyed your visit here, why not buy me a pint, using the button at the end of the "Labels" section?


Search This Blog

Saturday 2 August 2014

Pavilion Hotel 1890s



Folkestone Chronicle 21-3-1891

Local News

At the Police Court yesterday before Aldermen Sherwood, Dunk and Pledge, J. Holden and J. Fitness Esqs., Thomas Ford was placed in the dock, charged with stealing a half sovereign and a pair of eye-glasses from the Pavilion Hotel on the 19th inst.

Elizabeth Churchill Morrison said: I am housekeeper at the Pavilion Hotel. Prisoner has been in the employ of Mr. Spurgen as waiter for about two years. In consequence of having missed money from my desk, in my private room, I communicated with Mr. Spurgen. I received two marked half sovereigns yesterday morning. I put them in my purse and placed it in my desk, placing an empty purse on top of it. I put them there about half past eight in the morning. I locked the desk and took the key out. I went back about quarter to two in the afternoon. The position of the purses was the same. I went there again about four o`clock. I then found that the empty purse had been moved on one side, and when I opened the other purse, which had contained the marked coins, I found one of them was gone. I then made a communication to Mr. Spurgen, and saw the prisoner about six o`clock in the presence of Mr. Spurgen and Sergeant Butcher in sitting room No. 2.  Mr. Spurgen handed me the half sovereign produced and a key. It is not my key, but it is like mine. I gave him into custody for stealing the half sovereign. He said he would not rob anyone a penny piece. He first said the money was his wages and then said his mother had given it to him. About seven o`clock, after the prisoner had been taken to the police station, Sergeant Butcher handed me a pair of eye-glasses. They are mine. I can identify them by the knot, which I tied myself. They are worth about 5s. I left them in the table drawer in my private room and missed them on Wednsday. It was part of prisoner`s duty to attend to my room.

The Mayor (G. Spurgen Esq.) was then sworn and said: I am proprietor of the Royal Pavilion Hotel. The prisoner has been in my services about two years. From a communication that was made to me by Miss Morrison I handed her two marked half sovereigns. The one produced was one of them. About four o`clock Miss Morrison again made a communication to me and I sent for the prisoner to come to my room. I asked him if he had cleared Miss Morrison`s dinner table. He said “Yes”. I then told him Miss Morrison had lost some money, and took him into room No. 2, which is Miss Morrison`s private room. I asked him if he had taken any money, and he said “No, certainly not”. I asked him to show me his keys. He produced three box keys on a ring. I said “These are not all the keys you have. Let me see the others”. He then gave me the key produced. It was single in his pocket. I tried it and it fitted Miss Morrison`s desk. I then asked him to produce the money he had in his pocket. He produced a token like a half sovereign, some coppers, and a half sovereign. I asked him to account for the possession of the half sovereign and he said he had taken his mother his two weeks` wages, and she returned the half sovereign out of it. Sergt. Butcher then came in and he was given into custody.

Sergeant Butcher deposed: At 6.20 last night I went to the Pavilion Hotel. I saw the prisoner in No. 2 sitting room in the presence of Mr. Spurgen and Miss Morrison. I received a half sovereign and a key from Mr. Spurgen. I examined the half sovereign and found that it had been marked with a small scratch a little under the ear, and bore the date of 1884. He also handed me a key, which I found unlocked the desk. Miss Morrison said “I shall give him into custody for stealing the money”. I charged him with stealing the half sovereign. He said “You might look over it, Miss Morrison”. She replied “I cannot”. I brought the prisoner to the police station, and on searching him I found a pair of eye-glasses in his waistcoat pocket. He made no reply to the charge, but said he hoped it would be kept out of the papers. I then went back to the Pavilion Hotel, and Miss Morrison identified the eye-glasses as her property.

Prisoner, who pleaded Guilty, said he was very sorry and hoped the Bench would be as lenient as possible.

Miss Morrison pleaded for mercy, and the Mayor said he had behaved himself very well during the time he had been in his service. His parents were very respectable and lived in Darby Road. He was very sorry to see him in such a position.

Alderman Sherwood said the Bench had decided to take a lenient view of the case, and he would be fined 40s., or 14 days` imprisonment.

The money was paid by prisoner`s father.

Holbein`s Visitors` List 25-3-1891

Friday, March 20th: Before Aldermen Sherwood, Pledge and Dunk, J. Holden and J. Fitness Esqs.

Thomas Ford was charged with stealing half a sovereign and a pair of eye-glasses, the property of Miss Morrison, at the Pavilion Hotel, on the 19th inst.

Miss E.C. Morrison said that the prisoner had been a waiter for the past two years at the Pavilion Hotel. Having missed money from her desk, she spoke to Mr. Spurgen, who gave her two marked half sovereigns, which she put in her desk, locking the desk and taking the key away. Shortly before two she saw the desk had not been disturbed, but at four o`clock she found that one of the marked sovereigns had been taken from a purse. She told Mr. Spurgen about it, and shortly afterwards (in the presence of prisoner) he handed her the missing half sovereign, a key which fitted her desk, and also a pair of eye-glasses, which were her property, and which were worth about 5s.

Mr. George Spurgen said that in consequence of something Miss Morrison told him he asked prisoner if he had cleared her dinner table, and prisoner replied “Yes”. Witness then asked him if he had taken any money, and he said “Certainly not”. Being asked for his keys, he produced three on a ring, and a single small one. The latter fitted Miss Morrison`s desk. When told to turn out his pockets he produced some coppers and the missing half sovereign. He then gave prisoner into custody.

P.S. Butcher proved apprehending the prisoner, who said at the police station that he hoped the matter would not be reported in the papers.

Prisoner pleaded Guilty, and asked the Bench to deal as leniently with him as possible. Miss Morrison also asked the Bench to be as lenient as possible.

After consultation, the Chairman said it was a sad case, and there was no doubt the lad was Guilty, but the Bench had decided to deal with the case under the First Offenders`Act, and would only impose a fine of 40s.

The money was paid by the lad`s father.

Folkestone Express 28-3-1891

Friday, March 20th: Before Aldermen Sherwood, Dunk and Pledge, J. Holden and J. Fitness Esqs.

Thomas Ford, 17, was charged with stealing a half sovereign and a pair of eye glasses, value 5s., the property of Miss Morrison, housekeeper at the Pavilion Hotel.

Prosecutrix said the prisoner was in the employ of Mr. Spurgen as waiter, and had been for about two years. In consequence of missing the money from the desk, in her private room, she made a communication with Mr. Spurgen. On Thursday morning she received from Mr. Spurgen two marked half sovereigns. She put them into a purse and placed them in the desk, with another purse on top of it. That was about half past eight in the morning. She locked the desk and took away the key, which she always carried in her pocket. Her room was on the ground floor. She went to the desk about a quarter to two in the afternoon and found the purses had not been disturbed. She went again about four o`clock in the afternoon, and then found that the purse had been moved – the one left on top was lying by the side of the other. She opened the purse which had contained the two half sovereigns and found one of them was gone. She told Mr. Spurgen, who sent for the prisoner. They were all three in No. 2 room, and there Mr. Spurgen handed to her the marked half sovereign produced. The coin was marked with a scratch under the ear. Mr. Spurgen also gave her a key. Sergeant Butcher had been sent for, and she gave the prisoner into custody for stealing the half sovereign. Prisoner made no remark at first, except that he would not rob anyone of a penny piece. Mr. Spurgen asked him how he came by the half sovereign. At first he said it was his wages, and afterwards that his mother had given it to him. Afterwards Sergt. Butcher showed her the pair of eye glasses, which she identified as hers. She used them on Monday and missed them on Wednesday. She identified them by the knots tied in the cord. They were left in the table drawer in her room. The value of them was 5s. It was part of the prisoner`s duty to look after her room.

Prosecutrix was re-called later, and said that prisoner said “You might look over it, Miss Morrison”.

Mr. George Spugen, proprietor of the Pavilion Hotel, said in consequence o a communication made to him by Miss Morrison, he on Thursday handed to her two marked half sovereigns. About four o`clock in the afternoon she made a communication to him, and he sent for the prisoner to his room, and asked him if he had cleared Miss Morrison`s dinner table, and he said he had. He then told prisoner that Miss Morrison had lost money, and asked him if he had taken the money, and he said “No, certainly not”. He asked prisoner to show his keys, and he produced three on a ring – ordinary box keys – and afterwards a small key, which witness tried in the lock, and found it unlocked it. He then asked prisoner to produce the money he had in his pocket and he produced a token, like a half sovereign, some coppers, and the marked half sovereign produced. He asked him to account for the possession of the half sovereign. He said he had taken two weeks` wages home to his mother, and she returned him half a sovereign. Sergt. Butcher came in, and Miss Morrison gave the prisoner into custody.

Sergeant Butcher said he went about 6.20 on Thursday to the Pavilion Hotel, and saw the prisoner in No. 2 Sitting Room with Mr. Spurgen and Miss Morrison. He received from Mr. Spurgen the half sovereign and the key produced. He examined the half sovereign and saw it had been marked below the ear. The small key he tried, and found it unlocked Miss Morrison`s desk. Miss Morrisone said she should give the prisoner into custody for stealing the money. Witness charged him with stealing the half sovereign and he said “You might look over it, Miss Morrison”. She replied “I cannot”. He took prisoner to the police station, and on searching him found the eye glasses produced, which Miss Morrison identified as hers.

Prisoner elected to be tried by the Magistrates, and pleaded Guilty.

Prosecutrix said the prisoner`s mother had been to see her, and asked her to request the Magistrates to be merciful, and she hoped they would deal leniently with the lad.

Mr. Spurgen said the prisoner`s conduct had been fairly good. Miss Morrison had been losing money for a long time. He was sorry to see him in the position he was.

Alderman Sherwood severely reprimanded the prisoner, and said they were willing to give him an opportunity to do better, and not send him to prison. He would be fined 40s., and they hoped it would be a lesson to him for the rest of his life.

Folkestone Express 5-12-1891

Tuesday, 1st December: Before J. Holden and J. Fitenss Esqs., Aldermen Dunk, Sherwood and Pledge.

Fredk. Heiman was charged with stealing a pair of field glasses, the property of Mr. W.J. Phillips, from the Pavilion Hotel on Sunday.

George Spurgen said: I am the proprietor of the Pavilion Hotel, Folkestone. I recognise the prisoner, who came to the hotel on Wednesday last. He gave me the name of Herstling, and engaged a suite of rooms on the ground floor, adjoining those occupied by a gentleman named Phillips and his wife. Prisoner left the hotel on Sunday morning, without notice and without paying his account. After he had left, I went to his room, No. 11, and examined his portmanteau. It was strapped up, but unlocked. It was empty with the exception of a pair of socks, a pair of gloves, a medicine bottle, and a portion of old newspaper.

Mr. Bradley: Do you wish to ask Mr. Spurgen any question?

Prisoner shook his head.

Theodore Tickell, waiter at the Pavilion Hotel, said: I recognise the prisoner as a man who was staying in the hotel. On Sunday morning at a quarter past eight  I saw him coming from the sitting room, No. 10B, and go into the adjoining room, No. 11. I am sure he is the man I saw.

Walter John Phillips said: I reside at 59, Wallington Crescent, Maida Hill, London, and am now staying at the Pavilion Hotel. I occupy sitting room No. 10b on the ground floor. I had in the room a pair of field glasses. I saw them safe in their case about midday on Saturday, when I used them, and put them on the table, and a young lady staying with us put them in the case. I missed the glasses at midday on Sunday. Sergeant Harman showed them to me yesterday evening. I identify them by my initials underneath the shade on both sides. The value is about 50s.

Sergeant Harman said: From information I received I went on Monday afternoon to the Saracen`s Head Hotel, Ashford, and there found the prisoner in the coffee room. I said “How do you do, Mr. Kelly?” He made no reply. I said “I suppose you don`t know me”. I was in plain clothes. I said “I am a police sergeant at Folkestone, and you answer the description of a gentleman I am enquiring for”. I also said “There may be a charge preferred against you, and I am about to ask you some questions. You need not answer them unless you like. Whatever you say I shall use as evidence against you. What is your name?” He said “Frederick Heiman”. “Were you at the Pavilion Hotel on Sunday morning?” He said “No” “Were you at Seabrook Hotel on Sunday afternoon?” He said “No”. I said “Will you show me your bedroom?” I followed him to a bedroom at the top of the hotel, and on a table I found the glasses produced. I said “Are these your glasses?” He said “Yes”. I looked for the initials “J.W.P.” and found them on the shade inside. Prisoner said “You won`t find any initials”. I charged him with stealing the glasses and he made no reply. On the way to the railway station he voluntarily made a statement, and said “I am an Austrian, suffering from a very bad disease, and have no means of getting a living. I am glad it has come to this. A lady was sleeping in the room next to me. I took the glasses out of a leather case in the room to make a little money”. I went to the Seabrook Hotel.

Mr. Bradley: Never mind that.

Supt. Taylor asked for a remand until Wednesday, which was granted, and prisoner said he had nothing to say why he should not be remanded.

It is understood there will be other charges brought against the prisoner, who is an elderly man.

It is understood that the prisoner is wanted for similar robberies at Birkenhead, Chester, and other places. After leaving the Pavilion, it appears that he went to the Seabrook Hotel, where he appropriated a portmanteau or bag. He had in his possession an overcoat and a pair of gloves, which Mr. Baker, of the Hotel De Paris, Dover, has identified as his property.

Wednesday, December 2nd: Before J. Holden and J. Fitness Esqs.

Fredk. Heiman was brought up on remand charged with theft from the Pavilion Hotel. No further evidence was offered, and the prisoner was committed for trial at the Assizes, commencing on Monday next.

Folkestone Chronicle 16-7-1892

Wednesday, July 13th: Before Councillor J. Holden, Aldermen Dunk and Pledge, Mr. J. Fitness and Mr. H.W. Poole.

Stephen Maxted, a little lad of about nine years of age, was charged with stealing a quart of gooseberries, value 3d., the property of Mr. George Spurgen, of the Pavilion Hotel, on the 10th inst.

The gooseberries, still hanging to the branch of the tree, were produced in court, and Mr. Fitness observed that the lad was not satisfied with the gooseberries, he wanted the tree also!

Percy Amos, of Pavilion Gardens, said on the 10th inst. he saw the defendant in the gardens during the afternoon. Witness told him that he ought not to be there. The defendant made no reply to this. Witness attempted to sieze the lad, but he kicked him and got away.

The Superintendent of Police said the boy was one of a large family which was a continual nuisance to the neighbourhood. In fact, as soo as the defendant got away from the garden, he and another went and damaged a stack of hay belonging to Mr. Spurgen, and when remonstrated with they pelted the woman in charge of the stack with stones.

Mrs. Maxted was present, and the Bench advised her very strongly to keep a watchful eye over the boy in the future. They imposed a fine of 1s. and 10s. costs, and 3d., the value of the gooseberries.

The woman asked the Bench to “birch” the boy, as she thought it was very hard to make her suffer for the boy`s depradations.

Folkestone Express 27-8-1892

Local News

Margaret Galway was charged with being drunk and disorderly in Lower Sandgate Road on Tuesday evening.

P.C. Scott said he was called on Tuesday evening to turn the prisoner out of the hall of the Pavilion Hotel. She was drunk, and when she got into the road she became noisy and disorderly. She refused to go away and he took her into custody.

Defendant said she had been employed in the Laundry, and she went to the hotel for her money. She only wanted the porter to take a message to the proprietor. She wanted money to get back to London. She only said when she got outside “My God, I hope they will be punished as they are punishing me”. All she wanted was her money.

The Bench said as Mr. Spurgen did not press the charge, and as she had been locked up all night, the defendant would be discharged.

Folkestone Chronicle 3-9-1892

Local News

On Sunday afternoon, we learn, a large quantity of valuable jewellery was stolen from a bedroom at the Pavilion Hotel. It is stated that a lady saw a man in her bedroom, and asked his business. He said he had mistaken the room, apologised, and departed. Soon after another lady, having an apartment on the same floor, discovered that her jewels were stolen. It is presumed that the thief went off to London by the boat train with his booty. The police have issued the following notice: Stolen, 28th August, 1892, one yellow gold and cameo brooch, subject “Psyche and Cupid”; two gold rings, each set with five large oval turquoise and diamonds; one steel bead purse, gold slides. Gold seal, at one end set bloodstone, engraved “H.G.W.”, containing six sovereigns and a George IV sixpence (bent); one small gold pin, set single paste stone; one small gold and coral pin; one small gold open-face watch, white dial; one long snake pattern gold chain, with gold chatelaine; Napoleon guinea, half guinea, and seven shilling piece; gold lockets containing photos of a gentleman, child, and hair, gold seal, set white stone, engraved “H.R.”, and a number of other gold trinkets and three bars attached; one gold brooch, set paste, shape of leaf; one gold brooch, set paste, bar shape; by a man, aged 28 to 30, fair, square build; Dress, light clothes.

Southeastern Gazette 13-9-1892
Local News

The police are endeavouring to trace the perpetrator of a robbery of jewels and money at Folkestone. The robbery was perpetrated at the Pavilion Hotel. Amongst the articles stolen were two gold rings set with turquoises and diamonds, a cameo brooch, a gold pin set with coral, a gold open-face watch with gold chain, four 100 francs French notes, and 100 francs in French gold.

Folkestone Chronicle 10-10-1896

Local News

It is stated, apparently authoritatively, that Mr. Spurgen is giving up the Pavilion Hotel, having disposed of it to a company, who propose to entirely rebuild it in modern style. However, the popular Mayor will continue to take an active part in the town, and will reside in the ward he represents on the Town Council (the North) at Radnor Park, where he has built a splendid villa.

Folkestone Express 14-11-1896

Local News

The Pavilion Hotel: This hotel, which has just changed hands, is now being carried on by Henry Frederick and Co. Limited.

Folkestone Express 21-11-1896

Local News

“An Ancient Hostel” – Under this heading the following paragraph appeared in the Daily Chronicle on Wednesday. “Sir J.B. Maple writes with reference to our notice of the Royal Pavilion Hotel, Folkestone, to explain that the purchase has not been made by himself, but by a syndicate in which he is interested. The old Pavilion Hotel at Folkestone is not to be pulled down. The home-like comfort for which it has  been so long famous will be maintained, and the same officials and servants remain at the hotel.”
 
Folkestone Chronicle 12-12-1896

Wednesday, December 9th: Before Mr. W. Wightwick, Mr. J. Fitness, and General Gwyn.


The licences of the Pavilion Hotel and Harbour Refreshment Room were transferred to Mr. Evans

Folkestone Chronicle 25-2-1899

Inquest

Mr. Minter, the Coroner of the Folkestone district, has had many sad stories of death to hear during the last few months, but no other so tragic as that told by the witnesses of the death of George Henry Teandle Newington, who was crushed to death beneath the ram (a rod of six ton power) working a hydraulic lift in the Pavilion Hotel. The lift is used in carrying food from the kitchen to rooms above, and Newington, a bricklayers` labourer employed in the rebuilding of the Pavilion, had been engaged assisting an engineer in repairing the lift.

Reginal Meyer, foreman of the works, said the manager had told him to get some small work done at the bottom, underneath the cage. The cage could not reach the ground, as there were two Indiarubber stops 2ft 8½in. from the ground. The counterpoise, however, came right down to the ground when the cage went up to Floor 2. The work required was allotted to Edward Gibbons, bricklayer. It could safely be done while the lift was in work. The ram was in a separate place, by the side of the cage, and closed in. There was no necessity at all to go in the place where the ram was.

Edward Gibbons said deceased was serving him at the time of the accident as his labourer. Deceased had no occasion to go near the ram. His duties were outside altogether. The work occupied about an hour. During that time deceased had found a few knives and spoons at the base of the ram box. About one o`clock the cook asked whether the lift could be used, to which he replied “Yes”, and began to clean his tools. On hearing a shriek he turned round and saw deceased crushed under the ram. He tried to release him but was unable to do so until the engineer arrived about ten minutes later. He was of opinion that deceased had voluntarily gone into danger with the object of picking up some other spoons.

William Jenner, engineer at the hotel, gave evidence as to the nature of the lift, and as to finding deceased under the ram.

William Lageu, billiard marker, stated that as he was passing the lift he saw the deceased kneeling in the ram box, looking up the lift with a lighted candle in his hand. He saw him immediately drop the candle and groan. The man was killed instantly.

Dr. J. Hoggan Ewart said he was summoned by telephone to the scene of the accident. The ram had then been raised from deceased, who was so crushed against the wall that it was difficulty that he could be extricated. Artificial respiration was tried. Death was primarily due to asphyxia. Five ribs were broken and there was internal haemorrhage.

The jury returned a verdict of Accidental Death.

During the week, at the request of the unfortunate man`s mates, Mr. Meyer the foreman of the works, and Mr. Ovenden, the foreman of the rebuilding, opened a subscription list for a burial fund, the deceased being one who was believed to have no friends or relatives, but who had earned the affection of his fellow workmen. Messrs. Meyer and Ovenden found their staff readily responded, with the result that £8 was subscribed. The funeral will take place today (Saturday), with Messrs. Meyer and Ovenden in attendance with the men.


Folkestone Herald 25-2-1899

Inquest

On Tuesday afternoon the Borough Coroner (Mr. J. Minter) held an inquest at the Town Hall, touching the death of a labourer named George Henry Yeannell, Newington, a bricklayers` labourer, who was crushed to death by the ram of the hydraulic lift at the Pavilion Hotel under shocking circumstances.

Mr. Reginald Meyer, foreman of the works at the Pavilion Hotel, produced a sketch of the lift, which he said was correct. (This was passed to the jury.) He deposed that he had a representation made to him by the manager that he wanted some small work done at the bottom underneath the cage. He inspected the work, which could be safely done by the front part of some casing being taken away, even while the lift was being worked.

Edward Gibbons, foreman bricklayer, deposed that he went by order to work on the previous morning to do some repairs under the cage. He took the deceased with him as his labourer. The house carpenter took down the matchboarding and opened the door of the ram. Witness looked on, but the ram would not hinder him. He proceeded to his work under the cage, having got a candle. It took about an hour. The deceased had no occasion to go where the light was or anywhere near the ram. His duties were altogether outside. When he hda nearly finished one of the servants asked him whether he could work the lift, which was simply for plates, dishes, and food, and was near the kitchen. It was worked by hydraulic pressure. Witness wanted to finish cementing a pipe. He said “Yes”. It could have gone while he was doing his work without any danger to him or anyone. A pastrycook came and started the lift. Witness went on finishing his work while the lift was going up. The work took about five minutes. After he had finished he got up and said to his mate, who was standing close to him, “I have finished that”. Witness started cleaning his trowel in a pail. The candle was still alight in the place the ram came down. His mate`s duty was to take the candle out. After the lift had started he did not notice how high it went, or how far the ram came down. The deceased shrieked, and he saw him lying, his head on one side, the ram having caught him. He was got out. Witness tried to pull the rope, but it would not work. His idea was that the poor fellow must have seen a knife which had fallen down, and got in. Previously the deceased had pulled out two from the corridor. That was the only way witness could think of. The deceased could have taken the candle out without going in.

William Jenner, engineer, of Bouverie Cottage, deposed that the lift was in his charge. He kept the key of the door which enclosed the ram of the lift. The door was to clean rubbish out, and he had unlocked it the day before for this purpose. (The Coroner said he would imagine it was for protection.) He was called and found the man under the ram a few minutes past one. It would be possible for someone on the first floor to start the lift again to the second floor. If he had known, he could have prevented the lift moving at all.

Anatole Sachau, cook, deposed that at five past one he had an order for luncheon from the second floor, and he asked Gibbons if the lift could be worked. He replied in the affirmative. Witness did not see the lift started. He saw the deceased sitting down inside the lift doing something. The candle was not lit and was in the right hand. Witness had two dishes, and asked before he put the things in if it could be used.

Gibbons, re-called, said he did not know his mate was inside. He was by witness`s side, out of the lift.

Louis Bizeau deposed that he started the lift.

William Lague deposed that he was passing the lift at the Pavilion Hotel on the previous day, and saw a man inside the lift. He was kneeling down, looking up the lift, with a lighted candle in his hand. He was under the ram. Seeing the man looking up, witness stopped to see what he was doing, and heard the deceased groan. Witness caught hold of the rope, but pulled the wrong way. He saw the ram press on him.

Dr. John Holland Ewart, practicing in Folkestone, deposed that he was called to the Pavilion Hotel at 1.15. He found the deceased in the basement, with the ram off. He was crushed into a square space between a pipe and the wall. Witness gave orders to have him got out, and tried artificial respiration. There were five ribs broken. The primary cause of death was asphyxia. There was a pressure on the breastbone.

The Coroner summed up exhaustively, and the jury ultimately returned a verdict of Accidental Death. The enquiry lasted about three hours.

Folkestone Up To Date 25-2-1899

Inquest

A fatal accident occurred at the Pavilion Hotel on Monday last to a bricklayer`s labourer named James Henry Y. Newington. The poor fellow was crushed to death under the ram of a lift.

At the inquest on Tuesday the jury returned a verdict of Accidental Death.

John Hotham Ewart said: I am a doctor of medicine practicing in the town of Folkestone. I found the deceased crushed between a steam water pipe and the wall. I got him removed with difficulty, he was so wedged in. On examination I found there were five of his ribs broken on the left side. There was a deep red mark on his chest. He died from asphyxia, caused by pressure. There would be about six tons weight upon him.

The Coroner, in summing up the evidence, raised the question of responsibility for the accident. It could not be said that there was any negligence on the part of the bricklayer, Gibbons. There were Indiarubber stops which prevented the lift coming lower than 2ft. 8ins. from the ground, and he ran little risk working under the cage. The deceased, on the contrary, knew very little about the working of lifts.

Southeastern Gazette 28-2-1899

Local News

A labourer named George Henry W. Newington was, on Monday, February 20th, crushed to death at the Royal Pavilion Hotel, Folkestone. He crawled beneath a hydraulic lift to recover some knives and forks. The lift descended and forced his chest into his ribs, five of them being crushed. At the inquest on Tuesday a verdict of “Accidental death” was returned.
 


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment