Thanks And Acknowledgements

My thanks go to Kent Libraries and Archives - Folkestone Library and also to the archive of the Folkestone Herald. For articles from the Folkestone Observer, my thanks go to the Kent Messenger Group. Southeastern Gazette articles are from UKPress Online, and Kentish Gazette articles are from the British Newspaper Archive. See links below.

Paul Skelton`s great site for research on pubs in Kent is also linked

Other sites which may be of interest are the Folkestone and District Local History Society, the Kent History Forum, Christine Warren`s fascinating site, Folkestone Then And Now, and Step Short, where I originally found the photo of the bomb-damaged former Langton`s Brewery, links also below.


Welcome

Welcome to Even More Tales From The Tap Room.

Core dates and information on licensees tenure are taken from Martin Easdown and Eamonn Rooney`s two fine books on the pubs of Folkestone, Tales From The Tap Room and More Tales From The Tap Room - unfortunately now out of print. Dates for the tenure of licensees are taken from the very limited editions called Bastions Of The Bar and More Bastions Of The Bar, which were given free to very early purchasers of the books.

Easiest navigation of the site is by clicking on the PAGE of the pub you are looking for and following the links to the different sub-pages. Using the LABELS is, I`m afraid, not at all user-friendly.

Contrast Note

Whilst the above-mentioned books and supplements represent an enormous amount of research over many years, it is almost inevitable that further research will throw up some differences to the published works. Where these have been found, I have noted them. This is not intended to detract in any way from previous research, but merely to indicate that (possible) new information is available.

Contribute

If you have any anecdotes or photographs of the pubs featured in this Blog and would like to share them, please mail me at: jancpedersen@googlemail.com.

If you`ve enjoyed your visit here, why not buy me a pint, using the button at the end of the "Labels" section?


Search This Blog

Saturday 25 October 2014

Harbour Inn 1940s



Folkestone Herald 8-3-1941

Local News

Two soldiers who took an orna­ment front the counter of a public house were charged before the Folkestone Magistrates on Monday with theft.

Gnr. Raymond McCann and Gnr. Gordon Rafferty, the accused, pleaded Guilty to stealing the ornament, valued £1, the property of Mr. George B. Offen, of the Harbour Hotel, South Street.

Mr. Offen stated that the orna­ment stood on the saloon counter and just before 10 o’clock the pre­vious night he missed if. Defen­dants had been in the saloon bar before that.

P.C. Boss said at 10.50 the pre­vious night, while on duty in Sandgate High Street, he was called to a bus where he saw defendants with an ornament on the seat be­tween them. He asked them to account for its possession and they said they had brought it from Hythe that evening.       
 
Witness was not satisfied and questioned them again. McCann then said “I think we took it from somewhere near the docks at Folkestone”. He detained accused, who were brought to the Police Station. Both men had been drinking but they were not drunk.

Det. Const. Hall said he saw de­fendants at the police station. He spoke to McCann and asked him again to account for being in possession of the ornament He replied “I think we got it down at the Harbour; try the Harbour Hotel". Later they were charged and McCann replied “It was quite my own fault. Gunner Rafferty had nothing to do with it whatever”.

McCann told the Magistrates that it was his fault. They were under the influence of drink at the time and took the ornament as a prank. There was no intention of stealing it.

The Clerk (Mr. C. Rootes): What were you going to do with it?

McCann: We took it as a kind of souvenir, but I don’t suppose we should have wanted to have anything to do with it in the morning.

"We had no intention of steal­ing it”, said Rafferty.

The ornament was broken when shown to the Magistrates, and P.C. Boss explained that it had been broken in course of transit from Sandgate to the police station.

An officer stated that there was nothing against either of the defendants.

The Chairman (Dr. W.W. Nuttall), presiding with Mr. P. Fuller, said the Magistrates thought defendants had been rather foolish. They must have had too much to drink, and probably this would be a lesson to them. The Magistrates dismissed the case on payment of 15s. costs and £1 compensation.

Folkestone Herald 8-6-1946

Local News

Folkestone Magistrates on Tuesday granted a protection order to Mr. John L. McKenzie in respect of the Harbour Inn, Harbour Street, which, after being damaged by enemy action, is being re-opened.

Folkestone Herald 26-7-1947

Local News

Four soldiers and four civilians were charged at the Folkestone Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday with offences relating to a quantity of cigarettes and other goods missing from a kiosk on the Marine Promenade, Folkestone. The magistrates were in­formed that other arrests were pending.

Pte. Charles Stuart, Fus. John Barron and Fus. John Thomas Terry were charged with being concerned, with others not in custody, in breaking and entering the kiosk and stealing 20,000 cigarettes, 20 packets of razor blades, two petrol lighters, three tobacco pouches and four cigarette cases, valued £163, the property of Messrs. Finlay and Co. Ltd., on July 7th. Fus. Alfred West, stationed at Shorncliffe, was charged with receiving cigarettes valued £27 18/4; Joseph Routh, a cafe employee, of 42, Tontine Street, Folkestone, was charged with receiving 1,370 cigarettes, valued £11 13/4; John Lloyd McKenzie, licensee of the Harbour Hotel, Harbour Street, Folkestone, was charged with receiving cigarettes valued £16 5/-; and Jack Harry Cole, an amusement arcade attendant, of 9, Tontine Street, Folkestone, was charged with receiving cigarettes valued £70 5/10, including one lot of 3,000 and another of 500. The seven men were re­manded until next Wednesday, Routh, McKenzie and Cole be­ing granted bail. The four soldiers were remanded in custody. Mr. Worthington Edridge ap­peared for McKenzie and Cole.

Chief Inspector R.J. Butcher, opposing bail for the soldiers, said there were still other men to be arrested in regard to the breaking offence.

D. Const. Huddart, Folkestone, said at 3.15 a.m. last Saturday, accompanied by D. Const. Barrett, he saw Barron at Shorncliffe Camp. He told him he was making enquiries regarding the breaking and entering of a kiosk on the Marine Promenade, Folkestone, during the night of July 7th. He told Barron that he had reason to believe he knew something about it. Barron said “I know nothing about it”. Barron was taken into custody, and later, at Folkestone police station, he said “I admit being concerned with others”. At 9.15 a.m. on Monday he saw Stuart at Shorncliffe Camp and he denied being concerned in the breaking, saying: “I know nothing. I have nothing to say”. As they entered the police car Stuart said “All right, I was In this, and had £6 10/- out of it, I will tell you all about it”. Continuing, D. Const Huddart said last Monday he saw Terry at Shorncliffe Camp. Terry said “They have told me all about it”. At the police station Terry said “I had only 1,000; they told me there were 7,000. I sold mine in bits and pieces in the town”. Witness said he charged the three defendants. Barron replied “I do not know anything about three tobacco pouches. West did not know where it came from, or anything about it. I just asked him to find a buyer for some stuff. The lighter he had he was repairing for me. The flint got stuck up”. Stuart replied “I say nothing to that charge yet”. Terry said “I have already told you about it. They said there were 7,000”. D. Const. Huddart said at 10 p.m. on Friday last, in conse­quence of information received, he was outside the Clarendon Hotel, Tontine Street, when he saw West step outside from the bar accompanied by another man who handed a sum of money to West. He detained West and told him that he was a police officer making enquiries respecting some stolen cigarettes and that he had reason to believe that he had received some of them. West replied “I was borrowing £1 from him”. Later at the police station he said “Barron asked me to get him a buyer for some stuff and he also asked me to collect the money from the fellows for him”. When charged with receiving the cigarettes West said “At the time I did not know they were stolen. When I did I helped you all I could”. At 12.30 a.m. on Saturday, witness continued, he saw Routh at 42, Tontine Street, and recovered from him a quantity of cigarettes. Last Monday evening he went to 42, Tontine Street and took Routh into custody and charged him with receiving the cigarettes. He said: “I did not know they were stolen. He told me he had got them from London”. Routh was released on bail.

D.Const. Huddart said at 1.30 a.m. on Saturday he saw Mc­Kenzie at the Harbour Hotel. In consequence of what McKenzie said he went to a house in an­other part of the town; and recovered a case containing cigarettes. On Monday he charged McKenzie with receiving cigarettes valued £16 15/-, and he said “I would rather not say anything”. At 7.15 p.m. on Saturday he saw Cole at 9, Tontine Street. He told him he was going to take him into custody for receiving a quantity of cigarettes, and he said “What`s this all about?” Later the same evening he was released on ball. He saw Cole again on Monday when he was charged with re­ceiving cigarettes to the value of £70 5/10. Cole replied “There was not £70 of cigarettes. There was about £40 worth”.

On Thursday Pte. William Thomas Newman, stationed at Shorncliffe, was remanded in custody on a charge of being concerned in breaking and entering the kiosk.

Det.Con. Huddart, Folke­stone, said when he saw New­man at Folkestone police station he said “I was with the fellows but I did not have any of the stuff. I left them on the Sandgate Road on the way back to barracks”. Later, when he was charged, Newman said “I did not think there was all that stuff taken. I did not have any of it, nor have I sold any of it”.

Folkestone Herald 2-8-1947

Local News

Eleven men, including five soldiers, appeared at Folkestone Magistrates Court on Wednes­day to answer charges relating to the alleged theft and disposal of 20,000 cigarettes and other articles, valued at £163, the property of Messrs. Finlay and Co., Ltd.

Fus. John Thomas Terry, Fus. John Barron, Pte. Charles Thomas Newman and Fus. Richard William Wilson, sta­tioned at Shorncliffe Camp, were charged with breaking and entering a kiosk on the Marine Parade, Folkestone, and stealing 20,000 cigarettes, 20 packets of razor blades, 2 petrol lighters, 3 tobacco pouches and 4 cigarette cases to the total Value of £163 on July 8th. Fus. Alfred John West, stationed at Shorncliffe Camp, was charged with receiving 3,600 cigarettes, worth £27 18/4; Joseph Routh, a cafe employee, of 42, Tontine Street, Folkestone, was charged with receiving 1,400 cigarettes, valued at £11 13/4; John Lloyd McKenzie, licensee of the Harbour Hotel, Harbour Street, Folkestone, was charged with receiving 2,200 cigarettes, valued at £16 5/-; Sydney Frederick Moore, a newspaper seller, of Mill Bay, Folkestone, was charged with receiving 1,400 cigarettes, valued at £11 13/4; Sydney Albert Walter Barton, a labourer, of Queen Street, Folkestone, was charged with receiving 2,200 cigarettes, valued at £16 5/-; Jack Harry Cole, of Jack`s Cafe and Amusement Arcade, Tontine Street, Folkestone, was charged with receiving 5,000 cigarettes of unknown value, and 710 cigarettes worth £4 17/6, well-knowing them to have been stolen.

Mr. T.K. Edie, representing McKenzie, Mr. M. Morris, for Cole, and Mr. N.S. Franks, for Routh, all pleaded Not Guilty. Stuart also pleaded Not Guilty to breaking and entering the kiosk. Bail was granted to Routh, McKenzie, Cole, Moore, Barton, Newman and Wilson, but West, Stuart, Barron and Terry were refused bail, following opposition from the police. All the men were committed for trial at the West Kent Quarter Sessions on August 28th.

Mr. E.G. Weale, prosecuting, read a statement from Barton in which he was alleged to have said “When on the Pent Wall, where the whelk barrows are, about 6.30 p.m. yesterday, a soldier and a civilian came up to me. The civilian asked me if I could sell him some stuff. I said “What sort of stuff?” and both of them said “Cigarettes”. I said “O.K., I can sell you some. How many have you got?” They said “Five to six thousand”. I walked along to where Syd Moore was selling his papers and said to him “There’s a chance to get yourself £1 or £2 quite; there’s some chaps got some cigarettes they want to get rid of”.  Syd said to me “I know a a couple of places”. I then took the soldier and the civilian to Moore. They said “O.K., we’ll get them sorted out”.  We later met the soldier and the civilian in South Street. The soldier handed me an attache case, which I had given to the civilian. I went to the Harbour and sold the cigarettes to the governor, “Mac”, for £14 14/2. I went to the Clarendon and gave the money to the civilian. When I handed him the money Syd Moore was present”.

Mr. Weale said Moore also made a statement, and it was alleged he said “The civilian came up to me in South street and handed an attache case to Barton. The soldier was with him and handed me a carrier bag filled with cigarettes. I said to him “O.K., I’ll get rid of them and meet you in the Clarendon. I went to an address in Ton­tine Street, but found that the man was out. So I went to the Clarendon and told the civilian that I would take them up to the Shakespeare. When I was talking to him Barton came up and said “O.K., I’ve sold out”, and handed him £13 or £14. I went to the Shakespeare and saw Joe Routh. I said to him “Well, here they are then”, and he said “Why didn’t you leave them down there?” I had previously arranged with him to buy them. He said “Take them down to my house and ask my wife to give you £9. If she won’t give you her money, tell her to give you mine”. I delivered the cigarettes to the Ensign Cafe and got the £9. I met Barton near Wilson’s and we were sharing the money when the police arrested us”.

Cole also made a statement in which he was alleged to have said “About July 8th, during the afternoon, a Paratrooper, whom I know as “Johnnie”, came into the cafe with three or four other soldiers. The Paratrooper spoke to me and asked me if I wanted to buy some cigarettes at pre-budget price. I said to him “Are they all right?”, and he said “They’re not knocked off. They’ve come from the N.A.A.F.I.”. I told him I would have some off him. He said “You can have the dear ones for 2/6 and the cheap ones for 1/9”. Continuing, the statement alleged that the soldier handed Cole two valises filled with cigarettes.  He counted the cigarettes but could not say exactly how many there were. Two or three days later the soldier came with a haversack full of cigarettes. Altogether he had 5,000 cigarettes for which he paid £27/10/-. “After the police had visited me on July 1st I took the re­mainder of the cigarettes, which I had not sold, together with the 500 ‘Tenner’ cigarettes, and put them in the empty premises, 71a, High Street”, the statement concluded.

Mrs. Edith Lester, 43, Princess Street, Folkestone, said she was manageress employed by Messrs. Finlay and Co., posted at their kiosk on Marine Parade. At 6.15 p.m. on July 7th she left the kiosk locked and secured. The following morning she found the door, facing towards the sea, had been forced open. She subsequently took stock of the contents of the kiosk and articles and cigarettes valued at £163 were missing.

Charles Robert Hall, a builder, of 67, Bradstone Road, Folke­stone, said he had recently been doing repairs to 71a, High Street, Folkestone, premises over Jack’s Cafe. At 10 a.m. on July 19th Cole came into the premises. He was carrying a black case and asked him if he could dump the parcel for him. He took the case from Cole and left the premises at 10 and 10.20 a.m. He went home, left the case there and returned to work. He returned home again at about 2.20 p.m., put the case straight on the fire and destroyed the lot because he was a little nervous.

Det. Const. Huddart, Folke­stone, said at 9.45 p.m. on July 18th, accompanied by Det.Const. Barrett, he went to Tontine Street where he saw Barton, carrying a small attache case, enter the porchway of 44, Ton­tine Street, an empty shop. They followed the accused into the porchway and saw him sharing out some money with Moore. Witness said he told the two men that he had reason to believe they had been selling a quantity of cigarettes and that they would be detained for further enquiries. Barton said “I will show you who I have been selling them for. One is a civvy and the other a soldier”. They accompanied Barton to the Clarendon Hotel, where he saw him beckon to West and hand over to him £3 in £1 notes. Whilst in custody Moore made a statement and handed to him the sum of £5 6/5. He said “Here is the rest of the money”. At 3.15 a.m. on July 19th, when searching kit belonging to Barron, he found 14 packets of razor blades and a cigarette lighter. Barron said “Five packets I bought at the N.A.A.F.I.; the other nine packets and the lighter are from the job”. In Stuart`s kit he found a packet of 10 Capstan cigarettes in a civilian jacket. At the police station Stuart made a statement.

In the statement, read by the Clerk (Mr. C. Rootes), Stuart was alleged to have said “About four o`clock in the afternoon of Monday, July 7th, 1947, I left barracks with Fus. Barron and another soldier. We bussed into Folkestone and went to the Rotunda Amusement Arcade. At 5.30 p.m. we met Fus. Terry and Wilson and Newman, who were with another soldier that I do not know. By then it was getting late and as we did not have any cigarettes between us someone suggested that we go and get some. I was walking slightly in front of the others and heard one of them say “Let us go down on to the beach. I know where we can get some”. According to his alleged state­ment, Stuart sat on the beach for about half an hour and then heard someone whistle and saw the others in a shelter. They were putting cigarettes into their blouses and pockets, and so he put some inside his battledress jacket. When they got back to bar­racks the cigarettes were put in a spare barrack room box and he did not see them again, but he knew they were to be sold. The statement continued that on July 8th he met Barron in Jack’s Amusement Arcade in Tontine Street and he gave him £3 10/-. He received another £3 from Barron on July 10th. He then told Barron that he did not want any more and that he was washing his hands of the whole affair. Fus. Terry and Wilson came to the barrack room on July 8th and took their share of the cigarettes.

At 12.30 a.m. on July 19th he went to 42, Tontine Street, where he saw Routh. He told Routh they were police officers and he had reason to believe that he had purchased some cigarettes from Moore during the evening. He replied “I know nothing about any cigarettes. You can search the place. I have been in the Shakespeare since half past seven”. When he was cautioned, he said “All right, I take the responsibility; I bought them off him”. At 2.30 a.m. he handed witness an attache case, saying “Here they are”. The case contained 600 Capstan, 250 Churchman, 240 Gold Flake, 80 Players, 130 Senior Service and 100 Richmond Gem cigarettes. He saw defendant McKenzie at 10.30 a.m. on July 19th and told him he had reason to believe that he had purchased a quantity of cigarettes from Barton during the previous evening. He replied “No, sir. I know nothing about any cigarettes”. Later he said “Yes. I thought so immediately after the man had gone. I am a ---- fool. I have panicked and sent them to a friend to look after for a few days”. At the police station he produced the case to McKenzie and drew his attention to the fact that it contained 2,200 cigarettes – 1,000 Woodbines, 250 Senior Service, 650 Gold Flakes and 300 Capstan – but he made no reply. He went to 9, Tontine Street at 8.30 a.m. on July 19th, when he saw Cole and told him he was making enquiries respecting cigarettes that had been stolen. He said he had reason to believe that a number of the cigarettes were concealed on his premises, where they had ben left by some soldiers. Cole said “I know nothing about it. You can have a look around”. He then went into the amusement arcade and whilst searching the workshop he found an American Army handgrip containing 170 Gold Flake and 40 Embassy cigarettes. Cole said “I know nothing about them”. At 10.20 a.m. the same day he again visited the premises and in the arcade office he found two Army valises and one Army haversack. Later he produced the American handgrip to Barron, who said “That belongs to a chap in my billet who was demobbed last Monday”. When he searched West`s kit he found a petrol lighter, and West said “That belongs to Barron. I was repairing it for him. The flint was jammed up”.

Replying to Mr. Edie, witness said McKenzie was the licensee of the Harbour Hotel and was a man of excellent character.

Stuart said he did not agree to 20,000 cigarettes and pleaded Not Guilty to breaking and entering.

Folkestone Herald 6-9-1947

Local News

Five Shorncliffe soldiers who stole and disposed of 20,000 cigarettes and other articles in Folkestone in July were sentenced at West Kent Quarter Sessions at Maidstone on Wednesday. A sixth soldier and five civilians alleged to have been involved in the offences had also been committed for trial from the Folkestone Court. The hearing of the cases was adjourned until the next Sessions on October 16th. In making this announcement the Chairman (Mr. Gerald E. Thesiger M.B.E.) said the hearing would probably take place the following day.

Fusilier John Thomas Terry (20), Fusilier John Barron (21), Pte. Charles William Henry Stuart (24), Pte. Charles Thomas Newman (21), and Fusilier Richard William Wilson (25), pleaded Guilty to breaking and entering a kiosk on Marine Parade, Folkestone, and stealing 20,000 cigarettes, 20 packets of razor blades, two petrol lighters, three tobacco pouches and four cigarette cases, of the total value of £163, the property of Messrs. Finlay and Co. Ltd., on July 6th.

The following had also been indicted: Fusilier Alfred John West, charged with receiving 3,600 cigarettes; Joseph Routh, a cafe employee, of 42, Tontine Street, Folkestone, charged with receiving 1,400 cigarettes; John Lloyd Mckenzie, licensee of the Harbour Hotel, Folkestone charged with receiving 2,200 cigarettes; Sydney Frederick Moore, a newspaper seller, of Mill Bay, Folkestone, charged with receiving 1,400 cigarettes; Sydney Albert Walter Barton, a labourer, of Queen Street, Folkestone, charged with receiving 2,200 cigarettes; and Jack Harry Cole, of Jack`s Cafe and Amusement Arcade, Tontine Street, Folkestone, charged with receiving 5,000 cigarettes of unknown value, and 710 cigarettes, valued at £4 17/7, well-knowing them to have been stolen. Cole was not present, it being stated that he was ill and was in hospital.

In the case of the civilian defendants bail was renewed. West had been remanded in custody. He was now allowed bail in his recognisance of £100 providing a surety for a similar sum could be obtained.

Mr. R. Beddington appeared for Barron, Mr. M. Morris for McKenzie, Miss Dorothy Knight Dix for Routh, Mr. A.L. Stevenson for Newman and Wilson, and Mr. Neave for Terry and Stuart.

Mr. Maxwell Turner, prosecuting, said Cole would be available in about three weeks` time. Mr. Morris said he had no objection to the adjournment, but McKenzie would like the case dealt with as soon as possible to get it cleared up. Mr. Turner suggested that all the defendants should have the one trial.

The Chairman: I think that would be the best course.

Mr. Turner said that when Stuart was seen at Shorncliffe Camp on July 21st he said he had nothing to say. In due course he was taken to the police station, where he said he “had had £6 10/- out of it”, and he would tell all about it. He made a statement. Terry said he had only 1,000 cigarettes, which he sold in “bits and pieces” in a pub. Barron at first denied all knowledge of what had happened, but afterwards he admitted being concerned with the others. In his kit was found 14 packets of cigarettes, a lighter and some razor blades. Afterwards 210 cigarettes were found on Cole`s premises. Mr. Turner said Newman stated that he had none of the cigarettes; he said he left the other men in Sandgate Road on the way back to barracks. Wilson said “That`s right. I had about 3,000. Some I sold in London and the rest I smoked myself”.

Det. Const. T.W. Huddart said Stuart had three previous convictions, and he wished to have four other cases of larceny taken into consideration. He joined the Royal West Kent Regiment on September 3rd, 1940. Whilst he was in India he served 18 months for desertion. Terry had three previous convictions, for receiving stolen property, shop breaking and larceny, and house breaking and larceny. He received three years` Borstal detention, and his licence expired in January, 1949. Barton had six previous convictions; Newman two previous convictions, including one for an indecent assault on a female; and Wilson had no previous convictions. Wilson joined the Army in July, 1942, and served in North Africa, Sicily and Italy.

Capt. L.A. Douris said Stuart and Terry had indifferent characters, Barron`s character was quite good, and Newman`s was very good. He had no record regarding Wilson.

Mr. Stevenson asked if there had been a mistake about Wilson`s pay, which resulted in a drastic reduction for his wife.

Capt. Douris: I cannot help you there.

Mr. Stevenson said Wilson`s wife`s allowance had been reduced from £4 8/6 a week to £2 5/6 a week, and his own pay from 31/6 to 7/6 a week. Since then the paymaster had found that a mistake had been made, but Wilson wanted to earn some money. He had a wife and four children, one of whom was in hospital.

The Chairman said the statements of the accused showed that considerable care was taken in “the flogging of the stuff”. Stuart should have known better than to have got into trouble again. His civilian and Army records were unsatisfactory. He would be sent to prison for eight months. Terry had already been sentenced for housebreaking and had had Borstal detention. Whatever sentence was passed he would have to go back to a Borstal institution, and he (the Chairman) thought the best course would be for him to impose a nominal sentence of 28 days` imprisonment. Barron had also been sent to a Borstal institution, and his licence would have expired next year. He would be sent to prison for eight months. It looked as if Newman did not get very much out of the offence. He would pay £5 towards the costs of the prosecution and would be bound over for two years in his own recognisance in the sum of £5. Wilson was now demobilised. Whilst he was in the Army nothing appeared to be known against him, and he had no civil convictions. He enlisted on his own accord, and had been given a very good character. But he had some of the cigarettes and “flogged” them in London. Wilson would also be bound over for two years in his own recognisance in the sum of £5.

Folkestone Herald 13-9-1947

Local News

In our report last week of the case in which five soldiers were tried for the theft of cigarettes, it was stated that “Barton had six previous convictions.” The name should have been Barron. As was stated, the charges against five civilians and a sixth soldier were adjourned.

Folkestone Herald 25-10-1947

Local News

Jack Harry Cole (30), an amusement arcade proprietor, 9, Tontine Street, Folkestone, was at West Kent Quarter Sessions at Maidstone on Monday sentenced to four months’ imprisonment on a charge of receiving 5,500 cigarettes, well knowing them to have been stolen. He was found not guilty on a further charge of receiving 210 cigarettes. Four other Folkestone men who were found guilty of similar offences were bound over. They were Sidney Albert Walter Barton (38), labourer, Queen Street, charged with receiving 2,200 cigarettes; Sidney Frederick Moore (52), paper roundsman, Mill Bay, charged with receiving 1,400 cigarettes; John Lloyd McKenzie (58), licensee of the Harbour Hotel, charged with receiving 2,200 cigarettes; and Joseph Routh (47), a waiter, 42, Tontine Street, charged with receiving 1,400 cigarettes, in each case well-knowing them to have been stolen. McKenzie was ordered to pay £10 and Routh £5 towards the costs of the prosecution. All the accused pleaded Not Guilty.

McKenzie was defended by Mr. T.K. Edie, Cole by Mr. Malcolm Morris, and Routh by Miss Dorothy Knight Dix.

Fusilier Alfred John West, Shorncliffe Camp, was charged with receiving 3,600 cigarettes, knowing them to have been stolen. Upon the direction of the Chairman (Mr. Gerald A. Thesiger M.B.E.) he was found Not Guilty on the grounds of insufficient evidence, and was discharged. He was represented by Mr. Lermon.

At the previous sessions five soldiers were found Guilty of breaking and entering a kiosk on Marine Promenade, Folkestone, on July 8th, and stealing 20,000 cigarettes and other articles, of the total value of £163, the property of Messrs. Finlay and Co. Ltd.

At Monday`s hearing statements alleged to have been made by the accused to a police officer, and which were quoted at the Magistrates` hearing at Folkestone, were read by Mr. Maxwell Turner, who prosecuted.

The first witness was Mrs. Edith Lester, 43, Princess Street, Folkestone, manageress employed by Messrs. Finlay and Co., who said cigarettes and other articles valued £163 were missing from the kiosk on the Marine Promenade on July 8th.

D.C. Huddart, Folkestone, said that at 9.45 p.m. on July 18th he went to Tontine Street, where he saw Barton, who had an attaché case, enter the porchway of a shop. He was with Moore, and they were sharing out some money. He went with Barton to the Clarendon, where fusilier West was in the bar. Barton gave West three £1 notes.

Replying to further questions, witness said on July 19th he found 210 cigarettes in an American valise in a kind of workshop which led from the Tontine Street part of Cole`s Amusement Arcade. He also found two Army greatcoats there. Cole said he had never seen the cigarettes before.

Mr. Lermon asked if it was within witness`s knowledge that soldiers coming from abroad for demobilisation brought large quantities of cigarettes with them.

Witness: No.

Mr. Lermon: Do you know that soldiers coming home from the Far Fast are issued with cigarettes at cut prices? - I believe that is common on a troopship.

It would not surprise you, would it, that soldiers were arriving at the Camp with quite a large number of cigarettes? – It would.

Why? – Because through the Customs and Excise only a limited number could be brought into this country.

Mr. Edie: You saw McKenzie on July 19th?

Witness: Yes.

If McKenzie sold the cigarettes to his customers at the retail price he would make about £3? – Yes.

Det. Con. Huddart, replying to counsel, said McKenzie served in the R.A.S.C. in the 1914 – 18 war, and in the R.A.F. from 1919 until 1945. He attained the rank of warrant officer and was awarded the M.B.E. He left the R.A.F. with an exemplary character.

Witness agreed with Miss Knight Dix that Mrs. Routh was proprietress of the cafe where her husband was employed as a waiter. She was worried and bothered about the matter. Routh had a good character, with no previous convictions.

Mr. Turner: It is suggested that the cigarettes in this case had been issued to troops coming from overseas. Did they bear any stamp upon them? – No. Cigarettes I have seen issued to troops are marked that they are duty free.

Charles Robert Hall, a builder, 67, Bradstone Road, said that on July 19th he was doing repairs at 71a, High Street, Folkestone, premises which were over Jack`s Cafe. At about 10 a.m. Cole came to him with a black handbag and asked him if he would take possession of it and put it on one side or destroy it. He left the bag at home. He returned home again that afternoon and put the bag straight on the fire.

Mr. Morris: No-one seems to have any idea of the contents of the bag. I don`t know what the submission is. You knew what was in it?

Witness: I put them on the fire.

Mr. Morris: What do you mean by “them"?

Witness: The cigarettes in it.

How do you know they were cigarettes? -  Cole said they were cigarettes.

Are you saying that Cole gave you a bag full of cigar­ettes and did not say he was worried about them, and you burned them? - Yes, because I heard between 10.30 and about 2.30 some rumours that there had been a robbery. I heard that Cole was one of the men rumoured to have stolen some goods

Cole said that altogether he received 5,000 cigarettes from a paratrooper. Another 500, which he could not sell, were given him. The soldiers were regular customers, and came into the cafe afterwards. On July 16th he lost a wallet, which had been stolen, containing £100 or £120. He missed it from an attaché case in the office. He suspected the soldiers, and he phoned the police. A police officer saw him in the cafe. The cigarettes he had bought from the paratrooper were displayed on the shelf, and the officer had to pass them. On July 18th D.C. Huddart came about the wallet, and the cigarettes were still on view. On July 19th D.C. Huddart came again and said there had been some cigarettes stolen and he thought he had some. He (Cole) said he knew nothing about them, and told him he could have a look round. At the time he (Cole) did not associate it with the cigarettes he bought a fortnight earlier. In a workshop D.C. Huddart found an American handgrip, which he told him he had never seen before. There were also two Army greatcoats he had never seen before.

Replying to Mr. Turner, Cole said a soldier named Barron brought the cigarettes to his place. He had known him three or four months.

Mr. Turner: Had you discovered that Barron was a convicted thief? – No.

But when you lost your wallet you thought he or one of his companions might have stolen it? – Yes.

How did you think they got their cigarettes? Did you think it was a saving of cigarettes by dozens of soldiers in Folkestone? – It might have been.

You were told they came from the N.A.A.F.I. Was that the only enquiry you made? – I did not think the number would be unusual.

You seriously thought he might be able to get 5,000 cigarettes at the N.A.A.F.I. price? – Yes.

Barton, giving evidence, said he gave McKenzie the impression that the cigarettes he sold him were being sold by a wholesale man who wanted to dispose of his business in London. The conversation was quite open. He (Barton) borrowed a case from Mckenzie to take the cigarettes in, but before he could return it he was arrested by the police. When McKenzie asked him for the case he (Barton) said “It`s hot; you`d better get going”. Barton continued that he did not know any of the cigarettes were stolen. He thought they were bankrupt stuff from London.

Moore said it was a temptation. He was short of money.

McKenzie, giving evidence, said Barton asked him if he could do with any cigarettes, and he said he had about 20,000, stock of a pal of his brother`s who was selling up a cigarette shop in London. He (defendant)had some knowledge of the brother. He (McKenzie) said he did not want 20,000 cigarettes, but he could do with some. Barton said the cigarettes were in Tontine Street and borrowed a case belonging to a customer. Everything was done openly in the bar. Barton went away and came back 15 minutes later. They went upstairs and he gave Barton £15 14/4. Perhaps he (defendant) would have made about £2 12/- out of it. He never thought of the profit, but often fishermen came into his place and asked for cigarettes. He had no financial worries.

Replying to Mr. Edie, McKenzie said that when he was told the cigarettes had been stolen he called Barton “some names”. He decided to pack the cigarettes up and get them off the premises, and sent them to a friend in Alder Road. He had been licensee of the Harbour Hotel for about 12 months; he had no business experience.

McKenzie told Mr. Turner that he knew something of Barton`s private life, and he knew he was “a bit pushed”. They were both ex-Servicemen, and he was interested in Barton.

The jury returned a verdict of Guilty on each charge, excepting in the case of the 210 cigarettes relating to Cole.

D.C. Huddart said on October 9th, 1943, at Dover Magistrates` Court, Cole was fined £30 and £5 costs for harbouring un-Customed goods. At the same Court on February 5th, 1943, he was sentenced to three months` hard labour for receiving clothing coupons. He was married, and had six children. Barton had had casual employment in the fish-market area, selling fish and newspapers. There was one conviction in 1930, and in 1940 he was bound over for stealing from a gas meter. Moore was a male orderly for three years at Chartham Mental Hospital. He next entered Etchinghill Institution, and since then he had had casual employment. Routh had been a stoker employed at Folkestone Gas works. Since 1945 he had been a waiter in his wife`s employ. Nothing was known against him.

The Chairman said Cole would be sent to prison for four months. Barton and Moore, who had acted as carriers, would each be bound over in the sum of £5 for two years under the Probation Officer.

McKenzie and Routh were both men of good character, but they had been found Guilty of receiving cigarettes knowing them to have been stolen. The explanation must be that they knew cigarettes were in short supply, and they wished to supply them to their customers. McKenzie and Routh would be bound over in their own recognisances in the sum of £5 each.

Folkestone Herald 10-1-1948

Local News

At Folkestone Transfer Sessions on Wednesday the licence of the Harbour Hotel was transferred to Mr. Victor Albert Parks, formerly of Riverside Gardens, Wembley.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment